Building Google V8 on RHEL6
Working on a fresh RHEL6(Linux 2.6.32-431.20.3.el6.i686 i686). The offical RHEL version of git is 1.7.1 that does not have support for the -c option, which V8 build tools requires. So I will need to build a later version of git on RHEL6 first.
Building git on RHEL6
- Obtain git source from git clone https://github.com/git/git
Preparing the Build environment
- Install g++ via yum install gcc-c++
- Install required packages via sudo yum install curl-devel expat-devel gettext-devel openssl-devel zlib-devel
- yum -y install glibc-devel.i686 glibc-devel
- yum -y install libstdc++-devel.i686
- Make sure port 9418 is open in firewall.
- Install svn-git via sudo yum install git-svn
- install depot_tools
- Fetch depot-tools via git clone https://chromium.googlesource.com/chromium/tools/depot_tools.git
- Add depot-tools to PATH export PATH=`pwd`/depot_tools:"$PATH"
- Fetch V8 via fetch v8
- Build GYP (and possibly others) via make builddeps
- Build V8 via make ia32.release
- cc1plus: warnings being treated as errors
- Uninitialized variable in .././src/splay-tree-inl.h:213: 'dummy_node'
- Offending code is 'Node dummy_node(Congif::kNoKey, Config::NoValue()); - which is perfectly fine!
- Retry with make ia32.release werror=no
- Binary is in ./out/ia32.release/d8
- Build V8 debug via make ia32.debug werror=n
- Binary is in ./out/ia32.debug/d8
- tools/run-tests.py --arch-and-mode=ia32.release
- tools/run-tests.py --arch-and-mode=ia32.debug